The Faust Archive
The former Latin School in Knittlingen, right next to Faust’s birthplace, has been home to the Faust Archive since 2002. The former “Frühmesserhaus” (house of a prebendary holder charged with reading an early Mass) was purchased in 1542 to expand the Latin school. In 1632 and 1692 the building fell victim to major fires, was rebuilt and continued to be used as a school.
The baroque school hall from the 18th century on the ground floor, the lecture hall of the Faust Archive, has been preserved. After several families had lived in the former Latin school for decades, the building was carefully renovated and is now open to the public as a place to go for studies related to “Faust”.
The lecture hall houses the renowned Moosmann-Böhme collection, an impressive compilation of various Faust interpretations and adaptations in literature, music, film and the visual arts, among others.